Saturday, January 14, 2006

Day 3

I knew I wouldnt manage to do this every day...but at least my mind is thinking about writing. I have two haikus ( is that the right plural?) today to catch up.

They are a great distraction from all the horrible stuff going on in the world. How can one individual do anything against the amount of hate seemingly going on in the world still? Years ago, whilst doing population studies at Uni we had a lecture about how populations behave at increasing densities...experimenting with rats of course. Porr rats- if I were a rat I might have something to say about being used in experiments...I mean where's my rat rights? Anyhoo- the outcome of this experiment was that at higher and higher densities of living rats started to get depressed, angry and increasingly mentally disturbed, until at very high densities they even ate themselves- chewing away at a leg here and a tail there.....and this is how we behave too. Malthusian theory here being played out in the lab, and in the world today. The answer? Nature culls us, and we should cull ourselves- not through war, but by having fewer children...two at most....not 3 or 5 or 10 or even 15 as one silly woman here has done.

But this is not haiku...........


Fat dog on the rug
Supine, snoring in hidden dreams,
Leave her to her sighs



Weeds grow fitfully
Amongst the broken paving.
Sad land of no hope


I guess it was this second one that got me thinking......try and do a lighter one next!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home